Monday, December 31, 2012

31 December 2012

December turned out to be a good month for the stock market. Though US fiscal cliff problem is still hanging and the European situation not getting better, the stock market remained quite calm and the indices rose in quiet sessions. STI continues its upward movement and ended the year at 3167.08 , 3.16% higher than last month. My portfolio did not do as well as STI. As at 31 Dec, the value only increased by 3.12%.

In the month of December, I bought some shares of Popular, and got cambride IT shares through rights issues. I received a total of S$11,000 in dividend, including those from UT.

For the whole year 2012, STI has done very well, risingg from 2646.35 to 3167.08, or about 20%. I did a rough computation, taking the increase in my portfolio value, plus the dividend gained from shares, minus the net investment made (in shares) in 2012, to arrived at the gain. To my surprise I have a gain of 32.4%. Of course I am well aware that this is the result of only this year, and I do remember that I had a net lost last year.

I have not been buying shares very aggresively this year, since the index had rose to 3000 level. I only did my purchases when I saw good opportunities. Of cource in that way I missed some good opportunities (on hindsight), but  still maneged to buy about S$70,000 worth of shares this year. I bought into some income generation unit trusts instead, which has so far performed quite well and are generating regular monthly income (around 5% per annum).

I set a target to achieve S$60K dividend from stock holding for this year. I received a total of S$61K, just hit the target. With other dividends received from UT, my total passive income for the year amounts to S73K, or average 6K per month. This would cover my monthly expenses if I do not have to pay income tax. Anyway I hope to achieve S$80~85K in passive income in 2013.

In 2013, I will likely continue to stay invested and focus on dividend/income generating investment. As I am reaching 55 next year, I will sell the UT's I bought using CPF OA. The proceed will be re-invested to generate more income/dividend. I will review my stock portfolio and dis-card those "dead" shares in the portfolio.

Below are the top 30 holdings as at 31 December. There isn't much changes in the list, except UE replaces Yangzijiang.

1. SPH
2. F & N
3. OCBC Bk
4. ComfortDelGro
5. Semb Corp
6. DBS
7. SP AusNet
8. ST Engineering
9. Starhub
10. SGX
11. FraserComm
12. SembMar
13. CapitaComm
14. MetroHldg
15. CitySpring
16. Nikko AM STI ETF 100
17. Kep Corp
18. Ascendasreit
19. Sing Inv
20. CapitaLand
21. SIA
22. MapletreeLog
23. SATS
24. FrasersCT
25. MacqIntInfra
26. AIMSAMPIReit
27. Sabana Reit
28. UE
29. AscottReit
30. GlobalInv


6 comments:

Createwealth8888 said...

Reaching 55 is good as it opens up

(1)second warchest for opportunity fund and collects 2.5% close to risk-free returns while waiting.

(2) Transfer excess cash rotting in the banks to CPF to earn 2.5% return via CPF investment stock sales and cash buy-back.

Welcome to Senior Citizens Club soon!


Kyith said...

good returns.

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Createwealth8888,

CPF investment stock can be transferred to cash investment when one reaches 55. No sales and buy-back action is required.

Unknown said...

Wow, $61K of dividends. Basically, you are paid for doing nothing:) I own some investments such as farmland that are real assets, but I need to spread my wings a bit and start getting into equities more!

Unknown said...

I wondered if you have ever heard Forex striker which I'm using right now the first ever U.S.A.patented that destroys brokers and makes cash everyday. Pls visit my FOREX STRIKER REVIEW and discover how i earned almost $18,000 in less than a month.

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for te intro. I am not into forex trading.